Re: cybercrime laws will harm security research ..

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Saturday 18 November 2006 19:08 \__

> "The Police and Justice Bill 2006 .. contains amendments to the
> Computer Misuse Act 1990 that alter the law surrounding the creation
> and distribution of 'dual use' software tools"
>
> "Part 37 of the .. Bill ..  states: "A person is guilty of an offence
> if he supplies or offers to supply any article believing that it is
> likely to be used to commit, or to assist in the commission of, an
> offence"
>
> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39284750,00.htm

Seen it before and the following caught my eye.

"As well as security researchers, Linux distributions could also be affected,
as they often bundle dual-use systems administration tools, such as TCP dump
and nmap, said Hutty."

I can recall some debate (in Britain, I think) about banning languages like
Perl because allegedly they are malovalent. I suppose that FUD spewed by
McAfee does not help those decision makers who could tell apart a program
from their arse.

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/mcafee_fud.html

FUD by Association

Michael J. Jordan, Linux Online Staff

July 19, 2006

"First, there was plain, old FUD - classic Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. Then
we had stealth FUD. Now we have FUD by association.

In what can be best described as a drive-by FUD-ing, Dave Marcus, the
security research manager for anti-virus company McAfee claims that malware
developers have embraced the open source development model."

--
Roy S. Schestowitz     | Vista - Windows for zombies (and human beings)
Cpu(s):  19.8% user,   2.7% system,   1.1% nice,  76.3% idle