Re: [News] Sarcasm: Open Letter to Steve Ballmer

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<spike1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:52:00 GMT
<2me334-ohk.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> did eloquently scribble:
>> Like:
>
>> PAT. NO. Title
>> D531,184 Body shape for keyboard
>> D531,185 Image for a portion of a display screen
>> D531,187 Icon for a portion of a display screen
>> D531,188 Icon for a portion of a display screen
>> D531,219 Portion of an input device
>> D531,658 Type font
>> D531,667 Portion of an input device
>> D532,034 Type font
>> D532,035 Type font
>> D532,036 Type font
>> 7,132,595 Beat analysis of musical signals
>> 7,134,094 Automatic assigning of shortcut keys
>> 7,134,756 Selectable projector and imaging modes of display table
>> 7,134,887 Wall socket connector for AC adapters
>> 7,136,866 Media identifier registry
>
> Are these all microsoft patents?!
> WALL SOCKET CONNECTOR?! As in, 3 pin plug?! As in, the thing we've been
> using to plug out TVs into the wall for the past 50 years?

Not quite that simple, although one wonders what the device looks like.

The abstract for 7134887 reads as follows:

    An AC adapter assembly having an adapter with an AC input and a DC
    output, a wall socket connector that includes an AC input connector
    member configured for insertion into the input of the adapter and a
    plurality of prongs configured for both insertion into a wall socket
    and movable from an in-use position to a storage position and the
    wall socket connector is configured to remain within the thinnest
    dimension of the adapter; and a DC connector is described.

The claims area mentions a IEC-320 C8 inlet connector.  This appears to
be a fairly standard connector, although the claim also indicates a fair
number of other things in relation to the adapter/connector.

(Minor raspberries BTW to the USPTO for requiring a plugin
on their images viewer.  The image is apparently TIFF.
A google suggests EOG might fix that.  A little work and
I can remove the raspberry.)

Apparently the device is a two-parter, consisting of a
two-pronged plug fitting into a standard wall socket going
into an intermediate connector (at a right angle) which
goes into another box with a cable outlet, presumably with
the IEC-320 C8 inlet connector on the other end thereof.

Woo.  And how much is this patent worth, again?  Bricks
(117VAC two-prong going into transformer (with or without
external cord) with output of various types, usually a
small cylindrical affair, have been known for decades.
This isn't all that different though the detachability of
the one part is interesting; perhaps they're looking for
a 220V or 240V option.

The inventor is lilsted as a Leroy B. Keely of Portola
Valley, but the assignee is indeed Microsoft Corp.
Apparently it was granted 4 days ago.  Apparently a form
of this device is actually manufactured by Kensington.

(The image shows artifacts consistent with scanning.)

> How in gods name did they get THAT patented?

Lots of lawyers would be my guess.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)