Re: [News] Reasons to Boycott Binary Drivers

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:24:55 +0000
<1250270.BzUrSKaqsK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Don't go binary for your Linux desktop drivers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Binary drivers only hurt those who are looking for device support for
> | their Linux desktop, says Trent Hein, one of the co-authors of the
> | Linux Administration Handbook, 2nd Edition (Prentice Hall). Hardware
> | manufacturers usually discontinue binary driver support long before
> | users have finished using the device.
> |
> | In this interview, Hein discusses why it's better to buy devicesf
> | rom manufacturers that specifically market Linux support, what
> | factors are causing driver support issues and why he doesn't have
> | a favorite distro.
> `----
>
> http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1229404,00.html
>
> Just spotted the following as well:
>
> New line of Linux 2.6 computers
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Ampro Computers re-introduced the ReadySystem family of
> | embedded computers with Linux 2.6 to help customers, OEMs,
> | and system integrators rapidly deploy Ampro products into
> | the smallest possible application environments.
> `----
>
> http://dataweek.co.za/news.aspx?pklNewsId=22980&pklIssueId=599&pklCategoryID=37

Interesting that this is reported in a South African news
system but the company is based in San Jose. :-)

http://www.ampro.com/html/Computer_ReadySystem_ReadyPanel_Features.html

appears to be the relevant link on the Ampro website.
The distro is Fedora Core 3.

It's not clear how much these cost though they can't
be that much; they are seriously underpowered systems
compared to, say, some of Dell's high-end desktops, but
then who needs raw rendering power for a server?  :-)

The specs generally run 256MB RAM preinstalled
(not clear to me how much that can expand to), 40 GB,
and 150W ATX.  Presumably it's only really using 50W of
that, as the datasheet indicates, at least on the ATX,
that two additional PC/104 modules can be installed,
apparently as daughterboards.

The actual CPU on these boards apparently run 1.8 GHz
Pentium (800), or 650 MHz Celeron (710 and 700).

Interesting and rather rugged-looking little beasts; they
remind me of the NGEN, after a fashion (if anyone remembers
that offering of Convergent, now a part of Unisys).

Now, erm, what were the spec requirements for WinVista
Server (or are they going to call that Longhorn), again?

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: Not a text file