[News] Rumour: ATi Considers Openness

Rumor: ATI to open specifications to X.org developers? (and KDE4 news also)

,----[ Quote ]
| I've read this rumor from 2 different places... The first was a
| article linked from Digg regarding the Ubuntu developer summit. Ih
| eard it again in a tllts.org (episode #167) interview with the Zack
| 'Graphics Ninja' Rusin. He basically heard that ATI is trying to
| release docs to X developers, but are stuck in red tape. Can Digg
| help convince ATI?
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Rumor_ATI_to_open_specifications_to_X_org_developers_and_KDE4_news_also#c3862188

Related:

AMD goes Torro on Torrenza open source socket

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD, displaying a rare breed of initiative for a chip manufacturer has
| opened up the hardware specifications for its Opteron server processor,
| enabling other chipmakers to design co-processors that will be socket
| compatible with an Opteron motherboard.
|
| [...]
|
| AMD's vision appears to be an attempt to emulate the software open
| source paradigm in a hardware environment by opening up the AMD
| architecture to third party developers.

IBM and Oracle must change software pricing - AMD

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/22/amd_oracle_ibm_licensing/