Re: [News] Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) Reviewed

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Friday 17 November 2006 09:54 \__

> On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:49:46 +0000, Mark Kent wrote:
>
>> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> William Poaster <wp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> It's very good. I'm running it on one this machine right now, & have
>>> been for a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of changing the others over to
>>> it as well. :)
>>>

>> Careful, we'll get a Gary Stewart female nym persona complaining about its
>> fonts soon.
>
> Yes, like that hasn't been squashed a hundred times. Could be he's got
> poor eyesight, & a short term memory....though that could apply to most of
> the wintrolls, as they seem to keep repeating that same old crap.
> (See sig <grin>)
>
> The fonts are just fine. :-)

Same here (me too!).

SUSE 8.1 did not have so-called pretty fonts (read: Microsoft fonts that are
unfairly imposed by ignorant Web site 'designers') 'out of the box'. A
separate package needed to be installed using the SUSE CD's. Anti-aliasing
and sub-pixel hinting did, however, exist and you had a wide selection of
fonts that were, on average, more versatile than these that you find on
Plain Vanilla Windows (Mac OS 9 has some pretty fonts though).

Then I discovered Ubuntu 4 which had beautiful fonts and SUSE 9.3 came with
beautiful fonts as well, /without/ need for user intervention (Microsoft
TTF's). So the 'issue' was resolved several years ago, if it ever existed at
all. I don't think that Automatix or EasyUbuntu are at all needed until that
Microsoft-centric 'fonts monopoly' still prevails.

The next version of Ubuntu (7.04 Fiesty Fawn) is likely to bring stunning
graphics that put Vista and OS X to shame. It's still being debated because
of the 'binary blob' conundrum and controversy.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Cpu(s):  19.7% user,   2.7% system,   1.1% nice,  76.5% idle