[News] Memory Requirements to Hurt Windows

Vista System Memory Concerns

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista: Facing a Slow Adoption. In the beginning, early adopters and
| gamers who are looking to ready themselves for the DirectX 10 upgrade
| will be best suited for those ready to make an investment in the
| unknown.
|
| Considering how many software and game titles will likely need to
| be run in "compatibility mode" until patches are released across
| the board, I would suggest really looking at what Vista's advantages
| are before taking the plunge.
|
| No matter how much we may wish to see the path Vista is about to
| embark on, the fact remains that because of its hardware requirements,
| Vista adoption may turn out to be rather slow.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2395&Itemid=449

Related:

Microsoft Windows Is A Greedy Memory Hog, The Cure Is To Feed It RAM

,----[ Quote ]
| For Windows 2000, XP, 512MB is the minimum and 1GB or more is recommended.
| For Windows 98 any flavor, 256MB is the minimum and 1GB is recommended. If
| you are an avid PC gamer or video editor, 1GB is the minimum
| recommendation. Other operating systems such as Linux or Mac are similar.
| Simply put: more is better.
`----

http://bytepowered.org/articles/Article/Microsoft-Windows-Is-A-Greedy-Memory-Hog--The-Cure-Is-To-Feed-It-RAM/539
http://tinyurl.com/yn9ztx

Vista Runs Smooth Only on 2G Memory

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Dell CEO Kevin Rollins suggested otherwise on Thursday, 26 Oct at
| a speech at Shanghai's Jiaotong University. "I think they tell you maybe 1
| gig of memory is OK. No, two gigs of memory would be great."
|
| This echoes with my own experience with Vista RC2. With only 1G of
| RAM, there are many disk activities indicating heavy disk swap, a
| symptom of lack of memory in the system.
`----

http://www.itechnote.com/2006/10/27/vista-runs-smooth-only-on-2g-memory/

Linux:

,----[ Quote ]