[News] Microsoft versus Fair Use

Microsoft's war waged with FairUse4WM

,----[ Quote ]
| In September, Microsoft filed suit against the hacker(s) responsible
| for one such DRM-stripping program, FairUse4WM, purportedly created
| by the now notorious Viodentia. Other such programs reportedly target
| the DRM protections of the iTunes Music Store and AllOfMP3, among
| others. What will become of Microsoft's lawsuit? What does this have
| to do with "fair use" and the Digital Millennium Copyright Act
| (DMCA)? What follows is a brief overview in two parts. In the first,w
| e'll discuss current issues surrounding fair use with regard to the
| DMCA, and in the second we'll approach Microsoft's legal actions
| against Viodentia for FairUse4WM.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/13/microsofts-war-waged-with-fairuse4wm/

Related:

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Red Hot Chili Peppers, QOTSA, T.I. Rock For Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| "These devices are just repositories for stolen music, and they all
| know it," UMG chairman/CEO Doug Morris says. "So it's time to
| get paid for it."
`----

http://billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003380831

Microsoft sues over source code theft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has filed a federal lawsuit against an alleged hacker who
| broke through its copy protection technology, charging that the
| mystery developer somehow gained access to its copyrighted source code.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6119892.html

QTFairUse6 Updated Hours After iTunes7 Release

,----[ Quote ]
| "Mere hours after iTunes 7's release, QTFairUse6 has received an update
| which enables it to continue stripping iTunes songs of their 'FairPlay'
| DRM. Some features are experimental but at least it's proof that the
| concept still works."
`----

http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/09/13/1354252&from=rss

MPAA: Frustrated Consumers Will Pirate

,----[ Excerpt ]
| The MPAA's Brad Hunt outlined some of the ways the MPAA is working
| to standardize content protection controls in the age of digital
| home networking. But he also acknowledged that piracy is the
| consumer's answer to the content industry's inability to provide
| a simple digital-rights-management solution.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061016/tc_zd/191502

Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists

,----[ Quote ]
| A draft report by the Australian Institute of Criminology says
| copyright holders are making up piracy figures in order to sway
| governments to their side.

| A US court is forcing the Recording Industry of America to explain why
| it charges people it catches pirating $750 a single rather than the 70
| cents they flog them to retailers for.
|
| In the case UMG v. Lindor, Judge Trager has allowed Ms Lindor, who the
| RIAA claim is a pirate, to challenge the $750 a track it wants in
| damages.

Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

,----[ Quote ]