Re: [News] Ubuntu to Give Up on Apples? (Among Others)

begin  risky.vbs
	<Kim6h.5352$q_5.3942@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
	yttrx@xxxxxxxxx (yttrx) writes:

>> PowerPCReview
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | PowerPC, already a significantly less mainstream architecture
>> | than x86(-64), has seen it's visibility further reduced by the
>> | fact that Apple, the primary source of consumer PowerPC hardware,
>> | has moveda way from the platform. Ubuntu needs to decide whether
>> | PowerPC should continue as a fully supported platform for the
>> | feisty release.
>> `----
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCReview
>>
>> Ubuntu in action: Tiger clone+Compiz/XGL...
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRe0xXvHtFs&NR
>
> I hate Linux FUD when it comes from Linux advocates.
>
> Theres no reason for Ubuntu NOT to support the PPC platform.  It
> doesn't require a whole lot of special code, and building a kernel
> for a PPC environment is just like building one for any other
> environment.

For sure the hard work was done long ago in getting Linux to run on
PowerPC HW.

> The 20 or so man-hours that it takes to push out a PPC version of
> Ubuntu is very, very cheap.

I think your 'guesstimate' is way to low. Consider the rate at which
new versions of packages come out, the rapid response required when
updating packages because of security vulnerabilities, ...

If it was so simple why did it take Gentoo, Debian, etc a long time
before architectures other than x86 were fully supported? SPARC is an
example. A lot of time and effort was given by people to do this.
Certainly a lot more than a mere 20 or so man-hours.

--
Security is one of those funny things.  You can talk about being "more"
secure, but there's no such thing.  A vulnerability is a vulnerability, and