Re: [News] Linux Got the Directory/File Hierarchy Right

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:00:59 +0000
<1429256.DBdUBT73up@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Why is the linux file hierarchy better?

,----[ Quote ]
| There are many articles around the web about the differences between
| the windows file hierarchy and the linux one. One thing they don't say
| is which one is better and why. My aim in this article is to show why
| the linux file hierarchy is a better model.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/why-is-the-linux-file-hierarchy-better-12916
http://tinyurl.com/ylm2ek

Define "better". I'd say it's certainly more logical but it's also mired in tradition as well -- why "/bin" and "/usr/bin" instead of "C:\Program Files\Executables And Scripts" or some such?

Or perhaps /usr/softwarename/bin, where softwarename is the name of the software that is installed. I find that /bin and /usr/bin are far too overpopulated in Linux. On FreeBSD, only the base system is in /usr/bin and /bin, which works. I never did like the way the LHS spec'd things, for every package that could potentially constitute a base system to go into /usr/bin, and there were too many. I dislike seeing 20,000 items in /usr/bin. But if you go the /usr/softwarename/bin route, the path will need added for each software package.

My personal solution will involve creating classes of software, and putting them in /usr/local/audio/bin, /usr/local/net/bin, /usr/local/editors/bin, etc. Or, one could drop the local and simply go with /usr/audio/bin, /usr/net/bin, etc.