Re: [News] The New Enemies of Linux (SEE THE LINUX LOONIES TURN ON THEIR OWN)

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
<none@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Mon, 13 Nov 2006 21:06:15 GMT
<pan.2006.11.13.21.06.14.64779@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 15:10:49 -0500, flatfish+++ wrote:

>>> I thought this was called "choice" and was good?
>>
>> It's only called choice when it fits into the warped world of the Linux
>> loonie.
>
> That would be you.

I'm not sure flatfish is a Linvocate.  ;-)

>> Notice how they are mobilizing to shun Novell /Suse and now they are going
>> to do the same to whomever doesn't fit into their idea of what Linux
>> should be.
>>
>> No wonder Linux is failing.
>
> It's not failing, at the moment.

I wish I knew whether the problem with Linux adoption on
the desktops of the world is because of inertia (or, if
one prefers, ignorance) or because Microsoft is actively
suppressing it with such campaigns as "Get The 'Facts"
and various other advertising gimmicks.  Perhaps it's
not even a problem as such; one might make a case that
as more people notice Linux's flexibility and stability,
more will adopt it and might even center media systems
around it (e.g., the PS3 is reputed to run Linux though
confirmation is not clear as of yet), and until then
Microsoft will hold sway.

And Firefox is already making a following, though that's
primarily on Windows machines AFAICT.  Other good news
seems to be that the press isn't exactly drooling with
anticipation over the much-hyped Vista.   (I hope Adobe
gets its act together and releases the Flash 9 player soon;
that will correct many flaws on Linux distributions.  Of
course they're probably still testing it; a beta release
is out but has a few issues, mostly 100% CPU utilization
freezeups.)

Personally, I'm not enthralled with RedHat; I prefer
Gentoo.  That's one of over 350 distributions -- some of
which get big followings, some of which might be useful
to only a handful.  Not much I can do about it except
advocate Gentoo, perhaps. :-)

It's better than being restricted to six choices, all by
one vendor.  (Or maybe 9 to 12 if one includes the Server
Editions.  I'd frankly have to look.)

As for warped....the arguments by some of the Winvocates here
are truly twisted. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.