Re: Windows PC: $2,733; Linux PC: $299

  • Subject: Re: Windows PC: $2,733; Linux PC: $299
  • From: "rwwff@xxxxxxxxx" <rwwff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 13 Nov 2006 12:31:27 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ian Semmel wrote:
> This comparison is complete crap. It selectively uses expensive commercial
> software for the windows machine and compares them to open-source linux programs
> without stating that the open-source programs are also available for windows.

I agree, what about a Windows XP Home machine with Gimp, OpenOffice,
Firefox, Thunderbird, etc.   If you need development capabilities,
there's gcc for windows, cygwin, etc.   So an equivalent XP machine
should cost about $100-$200 more depending on XP Home, or XP Pro.

Now granted, this isn't a particularly wonderful, profit center for
Microsoft, but it does show you can get a powerful office machine
running windows, for $400.