Re: [News] Will the 'Java Trap' be Broken?

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Sunday 12 November 2006 21:42 \__

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2055994,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

> I'm still a victim (prisoner) of the only proprietary software that I
> use... MATLAB for Red Hat Linux.

Update:

RMS, recently, on if SUN free Java

,----[ Quote ]
| "If they made Java free software now, then they'll be doing the right
| thing now, and I think that it's more important that they do the right
| thing now than to reprove them for having done the wrong thing in the
| past.  Y'know, it's more important to focus on correcting the problem
| than on complaining about it. So if SUN makes Java free, then I'll say
| that there's nothing wrong anymore....if SUN's Java implementation
| becomes free software, it will be a part of our community, and we would
| treat it like any other part of our community, based on what it is
| now, and not holding grudges on things that were wrong that were done
| in the past. -  FSF
`----

http://fsfe.org/en/fellows/ciaran/ciaran_s_free_software_notes/rms_recently_on_if_sun_free_java

So the FSF now approves (or should approve) Java and gives it parity. While
Novell is closing, Sun is opening up and embraces the GPL. That's a large
member for the group/community, which includes Linux (Ubuntu) support, a
GPL-licensed CPU, Open/StarOffice (including enterprise support), and far
beyond it.

If they get an Open BIOS, open up some firmware and replace OpenSolaris with
GNU/Linux, then the Open computer seems nearer. For the record, IBM mocks
OpenSolaris and doesn't consider it to be truly open (LinuxWorld 2006).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
Cpu(s):  19.4% user,   2.6% system,   1.1% nice,  76.9% idle