Re: [News] Patents Hurt Education

  • Subject: Re: [News] Patents Hurt Education
  • From: Jamie Hart <usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 13:59:12 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll wrote:
Mark Kent wrote:

begin  oe_protect.scr
Software patent ignites firestorm in higher education

,----[ Quote ]
| A firestorm of controversy is spreading in the education
| community over attempts by key software vendor Blackboard
| to enforce its patent claims.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=96811954&rid=-50

Blackboard has relationships with Microsoft. They target popular Open
Source software like Moodle.
Well, the Austrialians were bullied by the US government into accepting
software patents, so they probably have no choice now but to allow US
companies to come in and take the tax dollars they had set aside for
educating their children, and give them to a foreign (US) company
instead.  After all, that's what patents are for.

Not only that but they have to give up any claim for any software that was written in their own country but people assumed was just a set of functions that anyone could use or learn from because they are public knowledge. The EU seems to be the only country that sees this patent nonesense as stealing.

It bugs me that countries are letting america claim items that do not belong
to it.

I suspect that some countries are more than aware of what is going on with software patents, and are implementing them in order to "get theirs" before America claims them all.

If a country follows Americas lead and upholds American Patents, America will uphold theirs, so lot's of money can be made by people in those countries.

Erm... I'm not sure If I explained that very clearly, but what the hell, if no one knows what I'm on about then they can't argue with me.