Re: [News] Linux Gains Ground, Beats FUD in Enterprises

Mark Kent wrote:
> Goya Nut espoused:
>
>> Greatest FUD is the Linux desktop is not ready yet for mainstream
>> usage. It was useful 8 years ago with KDE 1.0 and Gnome.  With the
>> Corel Linux 1.1 bundled with WordPerfect 8 Suite and Corel Graphics
>> squashed some 7 years ago secured the behemoth in power.
>>
> It's a very valid observation, and one which has been made by many of
> the folk here in the past.  The linux desktop does not have to be good
> enough to be usable, that's not the issue at all.  It has to be good
> enough to overcome all the FUD, which means, in reality, that it has to
> have some features and capabilities which are not just ahead of what
> Microsoft can do (as so many have been for so long), but so far ahead
> that even the most skeptical observer, ie., he who is most convinced by
> the FUD, no longer finds it convincing.

Mark-san, Windows 95 and 98 interfaces were not as near as polished as KDE
1.0 and Gnome 1.0.  Both offered multiple desktops, as few as 1 or as many
as 8.  Icons were crisper and sharper, better detailed.  There were many
bundled wallpapers to choose from, many more than Windows.

Windows was not even bundled with Mahjong like Linux, which is more fun to
play than winmines or solitaire.  Chips were highly detailed, it was a
game with more eye candy than Windows.

SuSE 5.3 was primitive by today's SuSE 10.1 standards, but with 5 CD's
came bundled with lots of tools and applications, including some
proprietary trial applications.

RedHat 6.1 was a very easy to install and very easy to configure distro.

It is only now that Windows XP partially caught up with Linux desktops.
Linux is more pleasing to the eye.  I did not like Windows XP default
"Miss Kitty's" toy-like interface.  Nor did I like Microsoft's "View as a
Webpage" feature in Windows Explorer.  It was an extremely dorkie and
stupid looking interface.

--
GN

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
A person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the man doing it.