Re: [News] It's Official: Java will be GPLv2-Licensed

__/ [ 7 ] on Sunday 12 November 2006 11:20 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Sun to Open-Source Java Under GPL
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | First, Sun Microsystems wouldn't do it. Then Sun teased us with it. Now,
>> | on Nov. 13, Linux-Watch has learned that Sun will finally open-source
>> | its implementations of Java under the GNU GPL v2.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.eweek.com
> article2/0,1759,2055994,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616
>>
>> Red Hat openly complained about Java's restrictive licensing terms back in
>> May. It's nice to see that not only have Sun Mi opened. They also sidle
>> with with openness at a high level of capacity. Now, if only they had
>> chosen GPLv3 they would have quieted down that storm (in a teacup) which
>> Linux kernel hackers started...
>

> Thank goodness, I can finally committ to learning Java.
> I deliberately never considered using Java because
> its was never GPL'd. With so many different software packages
> out there, its not worth wasting time on closed source products
> any more.

Yes, finally this justifies the inclusion of Java-based projects in
SourceForge. In fact, IIRC, Java is the most popular P/L in that site/host.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    chmod a-r *.mbox
Cpu(s):  19.4% user,   2.6% system,   1.1% nice,  76.8% idle