Re: [News] Windows PC: $2,733; Linux PC: $299

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> The Open Source Advantage
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Open source software has many advantages over the proprietary
> | equivalent. One of the major advantages is cost. Not only is
> | open source software less expensive up-front, but also less
> | expensive in the long run. Below is a chart comparing the
> | up-front costs of open source and proprietary software. The
> | comparison shows our Adonia desktop configured with Open Source
> | software, and with Proprietary software (for demonstration
> | purposes).
> |
> |         Open Source  Proprietary
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Total         $299         $2,733
> `----
>
> http://shafetech.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23
>
> Of course, many of these expenses will be hidden because software gets
> purchased after the base unit arrived.

I can't agree more about costs.
I bought a 3800 AMD dual core with 2Gb RAM for
under 500 pounds and you know things like open office runs in 3 seconds
first copy (subsequent copies run up in under 1 second).
I'm running virtual PCs inside it using Qemu. Whilst with distros like DSL
in Qemu I can't tell the speed difference, windopes on the other hand run
like a slower 500MHz machine - even plays MP3 music from virtual machine
but I don't need it any faster.
Under Linux I get frame rate of 200+ for TORCs - But I just can't play
games any faster! I'm happy with 80 frames easy!
Linux is just so fast that when you put it on a fast machine, all
that extra speed never gets called on unless you are running several
power users on the same machine!!!!!!!!!!