Re: [News] Microsoft: We Don't Compete with Open Source

On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 13:49:02 +0000
Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> > Because they can't...?
> >
> > Or it it just saving face...?
> >
> > 'We don't compete with Open Source,' says Microsoft exec
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| Hilf: We have the largest software patent portfolio in the world.
> >| With open source we needed to have something in place where we knew
> >| that if our intellectual property was infringed upon we had af
> >| ramework in place to resolve that in an effective way.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.itworldcanada.com/Pages/Docbase/ViewArticle.aspx?id=idgml-31382864-cd9c-49d5-8a54-d564275c7fd3&amp;view=Preview
> > http://tinyurl.com/y8truh
> >
> > And Bill Hilf calls himself an Open Source/Linux advocate. *rolls
> > eyes*
>
> Has anyone realised why software patents are such a bad thing, yet?  I
> can see their value in terms of preventing competition, and
> encouraging the formation of monopolies, but I can't see any economic
> gain for any country which adopts them.

like one-click buying. totally illogical to patent that.

it fuels capitalism.

i made quite a fuss with the local government to try and abolish
software patents, it was much effort.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://s5h.net/qf
proud c++ person