Re: [News] AT&T Chooses Open Source to Cuts Costs

begin  oe_protect.scr
> AT&T uses open source to assure dominance
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "One reason AT&T invested in us is they do see the adoption of
>| OpenClovis software helps them drive costs down in the network."
>| Proprietary gear costs more in the long run, because it costs
>| more to maintain.
>|
>| "We're cutting the cost of maintenance as carriers drive us to
>| push down costs. The only way to keep pace with those demands
>| is to find other ways of reducing cost. Open source is the best way.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=838
>
> This usually, if not always, involves Linux/BSD servers. MK would probably be
> interested in this...

OpenClovis is an extremely interesting project which I've been watching
closely.  It will stack nicely on a CGlinux system; mixed in with
mobicents and/or jboss for application serving, SER for sip
registration, perhaps Asterisk as a small-volume media server as well as
its excellent PBX capabilities, vyatta routers (we'll still need 3-mode
networking support - carrier-grade ethernet), you have most of what
you'd need for telephony.  You could use Asterisk for codec conversion,
perhaps in CPE, and let it negotiate with distant-end devices for codec
choices.  It would be good to see eg., the speex codec gaining some
ground (free), with perhaps ogg used for network messages and tones
(ring back, busy, IVR capabilities - press this button for something or
other, that kind of thing).

The main push on this kit isn't really the maintenance as such, it's the
possibility to separate licensing from support at all.  This means that
the maintenance and support costs can be negotiated as a competitive
contract, which is very very valuable.  Lock-in is removed from the
equation, so costs fall.  A failure to take this approach will result,
in the end, in a cost-base which is so high that the net margin falls
below zero.  Most telcos already have -ve growth in telephony, as well
as falling margins, so action here is not optional, it's essential.

I hope the openclovis guys continue to do well!

		-- Wittgenstein