Re: [News] BSA and Big Companies/Monopolies (Microsoft, SAP) Spread Patent Disinformation

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Changing the Report, After the Vote
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| That agreement was nearly imperiled last weekend, though.
>| Gerri Elliott, corporate vice president at Microsoft's
>| Worldwide Public Sector division, sent an e-mail message
>| to fellow commissioners Friday evening saying that she
>| "vigorously" objected to a paragraph in which the panel
>| embraced and encouraged the development of open source
>| software and open content projects in higher education.
> `----
>
> http://insidehighered.com/news/2006/09/01/commission

After reading this, it surprises me that the American Council
on Education would consider changes to a document that had
already been voted on and agreed upon.  This is the purposes
of a committee, so that what is produced is thought out and
agreed by consensus, not personal whim.

By considering Open Source, the educators are seeking best
value for the educational community.  Public Educational
sector is depended upon tax monies and filling a need with the
best solution in light of cost is important.  It is considered
wise stewardship.

To entertain a single source vendor over competition should be
unthinkable.

--
HPT