Re: [News] Vista (without Restrictions) in Holland: $723

> Leaked price information about Windows Vista: 'only' 723 dollar...
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Today Microsoft leaked information about the upcoming Vista release
> | in Europe. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition will be sold for 'only' $ 723
> `----
>
> http://digg.com/tech_news/Leaked_price_information_about_Windows_Vista_only_723_dollar
>
> Hardware gets cheaper, but a monopoly can still sustain raise the price of
> shoddy software.
>
> In Britain, Vista costs $600.
>
> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/windows_vista?camp_id=email_w23_vista

This seems kind of frivolous to me, since almost all copies of Windows are
sold as part of a hardware and software package.  Why would anyone pay that
much if they could buy a new computer for less money than the operating
system alone?  I think those prices are just set to make the customer think
they are getting a great bargain.  It's like the ads that say "Compare at
..." and show savings of 75% or 90% or such.  "Made to sell for..." is
another ploy.  They leave out the parenthetical "(but didn't sell very
well)" part.  No one is fooled by this anymore.

Microsoft does have a great offer on the table for a free copy of Vista or
Office 2007, though, see http://www.powertogether.com/