[News] NEC Network-attached Storage Unit Uses Open Source

NEC's NAS redefines 'revolutionary'

,----[ Quote ]
| The device runs open source NAS software, is compatible with Microsoft
| Active Directory, and has two Gigabit Ethernet ports. It also has twoU
| SB2 ports to connect external storage devices such as hard disks, DVD
| recorders and USB sticks.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/28/nec_revolving_nas/

Related:

Free open-source storage software attracts users

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source storage software is available to address a number of user
| needs, attracting tens of thousands of users who are turning to open
| source to avoid pricey proprietary products
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;2151292;fp;4;fpid;1968336438

NEC Designates SpikeSource as its Strategic Global Open Source Solution
Provider

,----[ Quote ]
| SpikeSource, a provider of open source solutions, and NEC , today announced
| a strategic agreement to deliver SpikeSource certified open source
| infrastructure and solutions software on the NEC server hardware.
`----

http://www.sys-con.com/read/279413_p.htm

NEC Strengthens The Linux Ecosystem By Joining Open Invention Network

,----[ Quote ]
| "The rapid pace of innovation and openness of the Linux environment make
| it attractive for hardware companies, software vendors and integrators to
| build and embed it in their products," said Jerry Rosenthal, chiefe
| xecutive officer of Open Invention Network, LLC. "With the addition ofN
| EC as an investor and licensee, we will be able to increase our pace
| of intellectual property acquisition and sharing. This will strengthen
| the Linux environment."
|
| "We believe that innovation is one of the biggest hallmarks for success.
| Linux is one of the most innovative and collaborative technologies ever,
| and a key growth driver for emerging markets"...
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/272620.htm

NEC Marries Fault Tolerance with Standard Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2003097,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

,----[ Quore ]