Re: [News] SME's in Australia Looking at Linux/Free Software

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 28 Nov 2006 22:44:58 +0000
<1771773.WXPomF4Bza@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Office, Vista "too expensive" for SMEs
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to the Sydney Morning Herald, David Hanrahan, of IT  solutions
> | and services provider Dimension Data said SMEs are staying away in
> | droves because Office is a lot more expensive and facing competition
> | from free open software.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35999

Pedant Point: SME = Small and Medium Enterprise.  Otherwise, the
article makes perfect sense, and I'll admit I'm wondering if this
ties into far more general issues such as the disappearance of
the middle class, or if it's simply because Microsoft thinks it
can get top dollar on a fading idea.

After all "integrated" apparently means "can communicate
in a reasonably straightforward fashion".  It doesn't mean
"mixed all together in one size fits all".

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.
Windows.  The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".