Re: Milstone for Open Source Software... 40,000 OS Mac Projects

  • Subject: Re: Milstone for Open Source Software... 40,000 OS Mac Projects
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 28 Nov 2006 14:11:08 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> MacForge exceeds 40,000 Mac open source projects
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | MacForge specifically indexes open source projects that have either
> | been built for and tested on the Mac or are likely to run on the Mac
> | without major porting work. Features of the site include filtering
> | options, search, category browsing and sorting.
> `----

Actually, most of these projects are Linux/Unix and Java OSS projects
which have been written in industry standard APIs.  Fortunately Mac
OS/X supports so many of these industry standard APIs (in fact, nearly
all of them), that it has made it very easy to provide thousands of
applications for Mac.

At the same time, the synergy has led to implementation of many "Mac"
applications in these same industry standard APIs, which are being
offered as commercial solutions.

I think one of the smartest moves Apple ever made was the
implementation of the full API compatibility with BOTH Linux and BSD
Unix.  The result has been that many applications written for SCO, SGI,
Sun, and HP Unix Workstations, ranging from CAD/CAM, real-time
statistics collection, aggregation, and display such as Tivoli,
OpenView, or Solstace, to real-world simulations of everything from
Abrams tanks to F-18 fighters to Preditor traning.

Apple has seen some of the best growth ever in the last few months,
growing from 3% to almost 4% of the total market base (a gain of nearly
10 million deployed units).  The combination of new users and
replenishment probably has Apple at somewhere between 10 and 14% of the
total annual sales in terms of Unit volumes.  Add to that White Box and
"Linux Ready" sales (machines sold at premium prices because they are
ready to run Linux) and the OSS based API framework is getting pretty
big.

No wonder Microsoft wants to start playing nice with Linux!

> http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/11/28/macforge/index.php?lsrc=mwrss
>
> These can be ported to run in Linux, if they haven't got a Linux version
> already.

>From what I can tell, most of these are already Linux versions, or BSD
versions (Linux can run most BSD applications)

Well Done Apple!