Re: [News] Linux in the Eyes of a Windows Migrant

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 10:15:12 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

Linux for Windows users

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike Windows or Mac OS X, Linux comes with a complete office suite
| that's compatible with MS Office. OpenOffice.org will let you load
| files created in MS Word and MS Excel and save them back in that
| format so your colleagues who are still using Windows can read them back.
`----

http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business6_nov28_2006

I like how you extract the part complimentary to linux, but ignore this part:

"But free software also comes at a price. There's a lot less hand-holding
and there are more things you'll have to figure out on your own. Most of
the answers to questions that newbies ask are tucked away in forums and
mailing lists, but these require some dogged Web searching to ferret out."

and

"How do I install programs? As a Windows user, I was so used to downloading
software from a Web site and running an EXE file to install it. Things
aren't that simple in Linux because programs are often dependent on other
programs that also have to be installed."

and

"Why won't my video files play? Out of the box, Ubuntu Linux will not play
AVI and other proprietary multimedia formats."

and

"Another useful tool is Wine, which lets you run some Windows programsI use
it to run Adobe Photoshopin Linux. Setting up Wine isn't easy, however, and
it's usually better to simply find Linux counterparts that work like your
favorite Windows programs."

and my favorite:

"Making the shift to Linux isn't as easy as some people make it out to be.
But there's a lot of helpand cool, free softwareavailable, if you know
where to look."

Funny how you missed all that.

You reckon it would be advocacy if he picked an unfavourable quote as the one to accompany the link?

He linked to the original article, anyone interested could go and read it. I see no problem with picking a favourable quote to post to an advocacy group so long as it is copied accurately from the article.

If you expect any different, comp.not_the_real.world is over there ====>