Re: [News] Microsoft: Vista Home users not competent to use VM's (unless they pay more)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft: Vista Home users not competent to use VM's (unless they pay more)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 16:11:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ arachnid ] on Friday 24 November 2006 15:48 \__

> :  Virtualization not 'mature' for consumers
> :
> :  http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61969665,00.htm
> :
> :  Consumers cannot run home versions of Windows Vista as virtual machines
> :  because virtualization is not mature enough for broad adoption, says
> :  Microsoft.
> :
> :  A Microsoft spokesperson told ZDNet Asia: "For production machines and
> :  everyday usage, virtualization is a fairly new technology and one that
> :  we think is not yet mature enough for broad consumer adoption."
> :
> :  <snip>
> :
> :  Michael Silver, Gartner's research vice president, wrote on the analyst
> :  company's blog that like Windows rootkits, there is a risk that VM
> :  rootkits can be installed unbeknownst to the consumer.
> :
> :  "Microsoft says that consumers don't understand the risks of running
> :  virtual machines, and they only want enterprises that understand the
> :  risks to run Vista on a VM," Silver said.
> :
> :  "So, Microsoft removes user choice in the name of security," he said.
>
> Apparently, paying more for one of the higher-end versions of Vista
> instantly improves one's level of competence to deal with that "dangerous"
> virtual machine technology...

It would be very convenient for Microsoft to push virtualisation away in the
same way that it mocks the Web (especially Web-based services/applications).
The reality is that Microsoft plays catchup, having bought a virtualisation
company and liaised with XenSource. I think Microsoft is trying to adapt to
disruptive changes, but does so very unsuccessfully. It is rumoured to have
shut down some live services, its search business continues its deadly
decline, and people run Windows under a player. Still, Microsoft is trying
to catch up. Even Zune/XBox are good (or bad) examples. It's kind of sad
when you think about it. It's like seeing a 20-ton dinosaur wagging its tail
and shrieking before the ground underneath collapses.

SCO is down. Who's next?

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
  4:05pm  up 37 days  2:19,  8 users,  load average: 0.11, 0.10, 0.10