Re: [News] Vista User Interface Mistakes - Critique from a Former Microsoft Excel Project Manager

On 2006-11-22, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> posted something concerning:
> Choices = Headaches
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I'm sure there's a whole team of UI designers, programmers, and
>| testers who worked very hard on the OFF button in Windows Vista,
>| but seriously, is this the best you could come up with?
>|
>| Image of the menu in Windows Vista for turning off the computer
>|
>| Every time you want to leave your computer, you have to choose
>| between nine, count them, nine options: two icons and seven menu
>| items.
> `----
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/11/21.html
>
> It would have been ironic if the button /still/ said "Start", which is the
> route to /finishing/ a session.
>
> How about navigating through vendor names to find a program that serves a
> certain function (whose name is, in its own right, rarely rhetorical)?

This whole mess sounds like they had one goal in mind when conceiving
Vista: inconvenience the hell out of the user.

The description above sounds like the "Are you sure?" "Are you really
sure?" "You may not be aware of the consequences of this. Are you
certain you're sure?" "I don't know if I can allow that unless you're
sure you're sure." "There's no turning back, so be sure this is what
you want to do!" things people have written about in other areas.

--
Are you scared of speed? Then try Windows.