Re: Linux User & College Course

  • Subject: Re: Linux User & College Course
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 17:48:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ pcutilisateur@xxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 10 October 2006 17:25 \__

> I am going to apply for college, and I was wondering what type of
> course would be good for me as a Linux User? I  love fixing,
> networking, and reparing computers, however, this may not enough for a
> computer job. I did some research and I found one course that I like;
> Computer Engineering Technology. It's a three year course. I am
> wondering if anyone else has taken such course, and were they able to
> get a job?
>

> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I hope there will be more takers to this potentially interesting and
mind-stimulating discussion. My supervisor argues that system architecture
is the future. Being able to assemble bits of technology in the most
cost-effective way is a valuable skill that needs you to be aware of and
familiar with many packages. This, unlike software development (my
undergraduate degree is in Software Engineering), is likely to endure as the
expenses (lack thereof) of duplicating high-quality software become better
understood and therefore they propel a shift in skills and requirements.
This is in some ways a renaissance that resembles what computing was like
decades ago. People will build their own large systems (servers) to serve
clients. Software as a Service (SaaS) or Service-oriented Architecture (SOA)
is what you must keep in mind as your long-term goal/vocation. While it
involves a great deal of hacking and tweaking (programming), it does not
involves some of the skills that colleges still focus on (sometimes
blindly).

Just my 50 cents...