Re: Net crime 'big fear' for Britons

  • Subject: Re: Net crime 'big fear' for Britons
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 19:31:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ William Poaster ] on Monday 09 October 2006 18:56 \__

http://www.forbes.com/2006/09/28/bbc-microsoft-internet-cx_cn_0928bbc.html?partner=yahootix
>> http://tinyurl.com/j5pn7
>
> I saw this last week, or the week before. Personally, & I've said it
> before, I wish we could stop paying the BBC licence fee.

I have given away from television set so that I no longer need to pay
licenses. But it wasn't anything pro- or anti-BCC.

Either way, the BBC is unable to even learn from itself...

More than 95% of e-mail is 'junk'

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 95% of e-mail is junk, be it spam, error messages or
| viruses, report mail monitoring firms.
|
| [...]
|
| Further work has shown that most of this junk mail is originating
| on hijacked home computers.
|
| E-mail security firm Return Path said 99% of the computers it monitors
| that send mail have been taken over by spammers or virus writers.

*sigh* From the mouth of technical folks.

,----[ Quote ]
| Reliability and the ability to change code, rather than cost, are
| driving the increased use of Linux at the BBC, according to Damion
| Yates, team leader of internet operations at BBC Technology.
|
| Speaking ahead of his presentation at the Linux User and Developer Expo
| in London tomorrow, Yates told Computer Weekly that Linux is being used
| on several projects even though there is no overall BBC strategy to
| support open source technology.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/articles/article.asp?liArticleID=129999&liArticleTypeID=1&liCategoryID=1&liChannelID=126&liFlavourID=1&sSearch=&nPage=1

I sometimes wonder how Gates has managed to influence the media so easily.
Ha! Actually I know the answer...

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers
$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact many of
| those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was one of the investors.
| It was carried out through the Gates Foundation, the world's largest
| philanthropy outfit.

./Me -> too.
Mem:    514480k total,   485516k used,    28964k free,    11776k buffers