Re: Linspire news

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
__/ [ B Gruff ] on Monday 09 October 2006 12:05 \__

On Monday 09 October 2006 11:41 BearItAll wrote:

The reason I push Linspire is not so much for experienced Linux users, but
if you have family members wanting to try Linux and want to give them as
smooth a road as possible, then I don't think you can do better than the
Linspire system.
I tried it once, just to see what it's like.  My own observations:-

- as you say, very easy to install, very good on the CNR.  In fact, it
really "rubs in" the gratis nature of packages - you in effect go to the
"shop", select from the "shelf", and price is zero:-)

- deliberately made to make the ex-Windows user feel at home.  "My
Documents", changed names for apps, etc.  Double-click by default?:-)

- easy to install, but IIRC only possible (without some difficulty) to use
Linspire on its own, or Linspire + Windows.  LILO?

You keep apologising, but I reckon that for somebody "on their own", it
might actually be the best "first try" of Linux.

Some argue that Xandrox 4 is a suitable route as well. It even offer discounts to former Windows 98/ME users. Ubuntu may be different from Windows, but it definitely simplifies the Linux experience. Same with PCLinuxOS, Mepis (although I am not too sure) and Mandriva. Not sure about SLED, but it's an improvement over Opensuse, it seems...

Lastly, Ubuntu and its derivative Mepis (no longer Debian) are free. Same
with PCLinuxOS, which underneath is just Mandrake 9.2 (thus a Mandriva
relative).

The first version of PCLinuxOS was based on Mandrake 9.2. Each successive version has been based on the previous version, with some parts of Suse and fedora thrown in.

--
Rick