Re: Vista = Greed = could bee good also.

  • Subject: Re: Vista = Greed = could bee good also.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 09:07:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 08 October 2006 19:53 \__

http://www.darklogistic.com/2006/10/07/operation-vista-an-exercise-in-greed/

> I'm not a particular fan of MS but if they are trying to fix thier bugs
> at the expense of the companies that merely profit from these previous
> flaws then I think Microsoft should use it's muscle, and fix its code
> despite the cries of the opportunists.
>
> Most of us geeks get asked alot to 'fix' other peoples computer -
> knowing it is nearly hopless for a 'fix' many of the ills of Windows
> security, I welcome something more secure, even though it is not on my
> preffered OS.  Especially if it means a lot less spam in my mailbox
> because droves of zombie nets have been shut down.

Boys will be boys. Besides, a monoculture (one dominant security vendor) will
not offer true security. Look, for example, how Microsoft vainly refuses to
patch IE flaws (until it's too late). Third parties voluntarily jump in and
fill the gap. Lastly, I have little or no sympathy for those who make a
living out of a problem that should have never existed in the first place.
Security is transparency.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
  9:05am  up 10 days  9:49,  7 users,  load average: 0.43, 0.50, 0.55