Re: Vista = Greed

  • Subject: Re: Vista = Greed
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 8 Oct 2006 14:37:32 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:
> begin  oe_protect.scr
> newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> > Operation Vista: An Exercise in Greed
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| At its heart, this issue is about Microsoft using its muscle
> >| (as opposed to superior product offering) to squeeze itself
> >| deeper into the security software industry.  What's at stake
> >| is, all other concerns being unrealized as of yet, branding.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.darklogistic.com/2006/10/07/operation-vista-an-exercise-in-greed/

Microsoft is doing much more than just "fixing some security bugs".
They are doing much more than "unfair bundling" to compete against
competitors.  Microsoft has now taken the technological leap to demand
"total loyalty", to expand it's control over the desktop and laptop PC
to the point of locking out ALL competitors, and even ALL software
providers of third party software.

The new technology being promoted by Microsoft make it impossible to
install hardware drivers, system softare and libraries, and even 3rd
party software, without being "approved" by Microsoft.

In effect, Microsoft is defining Linux, Solaris, SCO Unix, FreeBSD, and
VMWare to be a "Virus" and will have the ability to "lock out" all of
these "viruses".  In effect, Microsoft will now have more control that
it has ever had before, and more monopoly control than it had prior to
the start of the antitrust trial in 1998.

> I wouldn't want to be any kind of supplier of popular software for the
> MS Platform these days - don't think you'll be in business for that much
> longer, as MS need to get all of that revenue.

This is Microsoft's final showdown.  Microsoft is now taking "total
control".  They now have the ability to lock out hardware vendors,
OEMs, VARs, downloaded 3rd party software, and nearly anything else
they want.

They can charge other companies "access fees".  This could be disguised
as charges for publisher certificates, charges for authorization, and
charges for signed driver certificates.

In addition, Microsoft can demand other conditions as part of the
"deal" for the certificates.  Remember, when DirectX and high speed
WiFi cards came out, Microsoft tried to "lock out" Linux development,
by forcing the IHVs to not only "lock up" the technical information,
but also to sue or restrain any others who tried to implement or
publish other information that would allow Linux drivers to be ported.

Linux got around this when the sudden demand for AMD-64 and Intel Duo
processors which required Linux as the core operating system became the
"profit maker" and the "Windows Only" machine sales fell far below
expectations, forcing price reductions to "fire sale" prices and
"drastic clearance" prices below production costs.  It took almost a
year for the industry to readadjust their allocation.

This may be the point where Microsoft has overplayed their hand.
Locking out Linux and 3rd party providers and Linux-friendly hardware
vendors could force their hand.  Locking out corporate IT
administrators, power-users, and other Linux users could force their
hand.  First rule of Bridge or Spades is to not play the King until the
Ace has been flushed.