Re: Wired Magazine on "Rebuilding Microsoft"

  • Subject: Re: Wired Magazine on "Rebuilding Microsoft"
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 7 Oct 2006 13:39:53 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Jerry McBride wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > Rebuilding Microsoft
> >
> > The article closes with:
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | In 1995, Bill Gates foresaw the Internet tidal wave and pushed his
> > | company to adapt. At the time, that seemed prophetic. Today, Ray Ozzie
> > | is pushing the same thing, but this time it's about survival.
> > `----
> >
> > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.10/microsoft.html
> >
> > OT: I might be in Wired next month (nothing to do with Linux though).
>
> I'm a subscriber, Roy. I'll be looking for you.

I read the article and it's more about Ray Ozzie than anything else.
The article has many good things to say about Ray and I couldn't agree
more. I was fortunate enough to work for him for many years when he was
running Groove Networks. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who knows
him or who's worked for him that doesn't have the utmost respect for
the guy.

Technically he's as smart as anyone, the article even says - "As the
inventor and principal executive behind Lotus Notes in the '80s and
'90s, the 50-year-old Ozzie is considered one of the best software
minds on the planet." But that's not what defines him. He really is
*that smart* but he's one of the kindest, humble and most unasuming
people I've ever known.

I've worked with junior managers and project leads who think they're
hot-stuff and gods gift to the software world and some of these people
have attitudes and egos that would make you laugh. Ray is basically a
quiet soft-spoken guy who's earned the right to have an attitude/ego,
only that he has none.