Re: Ten reasons to dump Windows

  • Subject: Re: Ten reasons to dump Windows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 23:17:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ michuk ] on Friday 06 October 2006 18:28 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Borys Musielak ] on Friday 15 September 2006 20:36 \__
>>
>>> http://polishlinux.org/gnu/10-reasons-to-dump-windows-part-i/
>>>
>>> An article which I guess fits to this group.
>>>
>>> "Microsoft has reached an enormous success with its Windows product
>>> during the last decade and practically monopolized the market for home
>>> computer operating systems. But, does it mean Windows is still the best
>>> OS around, especially for power users? I'm going to cumulate my Windows
>>> XP frustrations and tell you about the top 10 reasons why I decided to
>>> dump Windows and use GNU/Linux as my primary desktop OS."
>>>
>>> This is just part I. Parts II and II are planned to be published later
>>> this month.
>>
>> I like that site. It has some good material, including that Linux laptop
>> instructional guide. But hasn't the above gone a little ;off the
>> headlines' by now? I don't think I ever saw the sequels, which I hope make
>> a case as strong as the first 3 points/classes of points.
>> Troubleshooting/rich and expressive CLI come to mind as a vital tool that
>> Windows truly lacks.
>
> There is the second part available now:
>
> http://polishlinux.org/gnu/10-reasons-to-dump-windows-part-ii/
>
> Have a good reading!
>
> Borys

Seen it. Liked it. *smile* I look forward to the third installment. I am
surprised that cost (short- and long-term) has not been mentioned, /yet/.
Also, you now have some more 'beef' such as piracy control and penalties
(sometimes the result of flase-positive detections, thought that's yet to be
seen at its full 'glory').

Customisability for higher productivity comes to mind albeit it won't speak
to typical Apple/Windows fans who stick with Plain Vanilla (because
alternative possibility just wasn't there). I'm afraid that one perils of
Linux adoption is that what people have not seen they simply can't grasp and
therefore cannot appreciate. Try, for example, to convince an all-time
Windows user that virtual desktops would help. Or tabs... or a proper
command line. I hope you get the point. *smile*

Visual examples help a lot. Animations too. People are too lazy and digestion
of text that forms a mental illustration is far from ideal. Short attention
span makes videos (passive interaction) best bar none, IMO.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
Swap:  1036184k total,   566072k used,   470112k free,    38236k cached