Re: [News] Complete Vista: $600 to British People

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:52:09 +0100
<1989783.Sc5zHfyzBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Heck, one can buy two Linux boxes for that price (of a licence alone)
>
> http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/editorial/windows_vista?camp_id=email_w23_vista

Depends on the hardware.  If one goes the $100 laptop route
one could buy almost 6 (it would be 6 but for taxes).
A $600 machine is just below the E510 on Dell's system
scale (that's powered by a Pentium D Dual-Core, 1GB DDR2
SDRAM @ 533 MHz, 160 GB SATA 3Gb/s, a 16X CD/DVD burner,
a 17" monitor, and an ATI Radeon X300 SE 128 MB PCI Express
x16 video card, available for $649).

Of course that comes with XP, so I don't know how much that
license costs.  If one assumes $100 for an XP license one
can add 1 GB more of RAM.

> Ripoffsoft Windows. And I thought Service Packs were delivered for free...
> and Vista still awaits that needed security update. An annual subscription
> for bugfixes (Live OneCare) doesn't toast the bagel...

No, but it does allow for more wine and brie for Bill Gates and Company.
:-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because it's not the desktop that's
important, it's the ability to DO something
with it.