Re: Microsoft To Impose Windows Vista Activation On Businesses

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft To Impose Windows Vista Activation On Businesses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:54:33 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ ed ] on Friday 06 October 2006 18:30 \__

> On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 15:05:59 GMT
> Philip <no_one@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> Similar to the other article I posted, except that business users get
>> treated the same way as personal users.
>>
>> " Licensed customers must activate within 30 days or be forced to use
>> the crippled version of Vista"
>>
>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193104692
>
> I wonder how long before the Chinese crack this. The crack then gets
> rolled in with some other spyware/worms. Crack gets passed around,
> eventually businesses and their sys admins get stressed. More reasons to
> migrate away and to something else.

We should have learned from previous attempts of WGA, as well as DRM
(Microsoft fastest patch and currently the fabricated allegations to stop
unlocking of files). Both were cracked very shortly after they had been
released. In the former case, it didn't even look like Microsoft tried hard
to prevent piracy (backing below), but rather to scare people in order to
squeeze out more money through licensing. At the same time it can whine
about being fooled, but it's merely a case of crocodile's tears. They try to
find sympathy, having screwed up the computing industry with fraud,
blackmail and extortion for at least a couple of decades.

Walkthrough: Microsoft Office for Free (Legally)

,----[ Quote ]
| As the start of school approaches, many students find themselves
| shelling out as much as $300 for Microsoft Office 2003. This Walkthrough
| will provide an in-depth way to LEGALLY use Microsoft Office for free. I
| am not ashamed to admit that I have now been using Office for almost ay
| ear through this method. Walkthrough after the Jump.
`----

                        http://livewavecam.com/walkthrough.htm

Easy Way to Bypass Windows Genuine Advantage

,----[ Quote ]
| How to bypass Windows Genuine Advantage easily without patches or scripts
`----

http://www.youareadopted.com/wga/wga-bypass.html

Also see:

Hackers Crack Microsoft's Antipiracy System

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows Genuine Advantage system first exploited within 24 hours of
| its launch
|
| [...]
|
| A posting on the  Boing Boing blog claimed that a JavaScript command
| string could bypass a check that Microsoft instituted Wednesday through the
| Windows Genuine Advantage 1.0 program.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,122058-page,1/article.html

The 30-day 'probabtion period' could be a scare factor and a demi-void
threat. Y'all know how hard to crack those Office and Windows 'serial
numbers' truly are... [rolls eyes /]

Also see:

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext

How Piracy Helps Microsoft Make Billions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft estimates it lost $14 billion last year to software piracy.
|
| The loss may prove to be the most profitable sales never made.
|
| Although the world's largest software producer spends millions every year
| to combat illegal reproduction of its products, piracy helps the company
| to establish itself in emerging markets and fend off threats from
| free open-source programs. (Source: LAtimes.com)
`----

http://www.infopackets.com/channels/en/windows/gazette/2006/20060429_how_piracy_helps_microsoft_make_billions.htm

Best wishes,

Windows is 'intuitive': go to 'Start' to finish a session
         run-level 5  Sep 28 23:16                   last=S