Re: Resolution for University Support of OSS

  • Subject: Re: Resolution for University Support of OSS
  • From: High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 18:06:19 +0000 (UTC)
  • Cache-post-path: ella.cg.yu!unknown@221m35.oasis.mediatti.net
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
"billwg" <bill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> High Plains Thumper wrote:
>
>> RESOLUTION FOR UNIVERSITY SUPPORT OF OPEN SOFTWARE AND
>> STANDARDS
>
> Well, thumper, it's been some 3 and a half years in the
> making, so what are the Bulls touting now?

Well Bill, been spending too much time on the magnolia
plantation lately, eh?  It's time to wake up and smell the
coffee.

http://ubit.buffalo.edu/linux/intro.php

http://ubit.buffalo.edu/linux/download.php

http://wings.buffalo.edu/org/opensource/

http://www.ie.buffalo.edu/Abstract_Lougee-Heimer.shtml

http://www.ie.buffalo.edu/Abstract_Nukala.shtml

http://www.canopener.ca/article.php?story=98

> University of Buffalo faculty goes for open source

> Related News The University of Buffalo (New York) Faculty
> Senate has passed a resolution calling for the use of open
> source software and open file formats at the University.
> The resolution cites the needs for free information flow,
> privacy, and cost containment. "...open-source, or 'free'
> software provides an alternative to proprietary operating
> systems and application software that is robust, reliable
> and trustworthy, and provides a means for the University
> community to retain complete control of its computer
> hardware and software, and to retain the rights of Fair Use
> of information, and preserve the means to adapt computer
> systems to specific research and personal needs..."

> Nice wording on this one:
>
> 9 WHEREAS, open-source, or "free" software provides an
> alternative to proprietary operating systems and
> application software that is robust, reliable and
> trustworthy, and provides a means for the University
> community to retain complete control of its computer
> hardware and software, and to retain the rights of Fair Use
> of information, and preserve the means to adapt computer
> systems to specific research and personal needs;

http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0603&L=syslib-l&T
=0&P=1908

or http://tinyurl.com/h4xjn

> Date:         Thu, 9 Mar 2006 11:22:41 -0500>
> Sender:       Systems Librarianship
> From:         "Drew, Bill"
> Subject:      Survey on Open Source Software in L>ibraries

> Greetings, Nylink invites you to participate in this survey
> on Open Source Software in Libraries. The goal of this
> survey, which has been created by the Nylink Open Source
> Advisory Group, comprised of librarians from Nylink member
> libraries and Nylink staff, is to collect information about
> the use of open source software in libraries. In
> particular, we hope to determine what open source software
> is being used in libraries or related organizations, and
> what the determining factors are in whether or not open
> source software is in use. Results of the survey will be
> disseminated in Spring 2006. The survey is at
> http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224ZXHBAYFD. The
> survey will remain open until March 31st.

http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0201&L=dccs&T=0&F
=P&S=&P=4605

or http://tinyurl.com/gl9hw

> Date:      	Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:23:53 -0500
> Sender:   	DCC Discussion List
> From:       	Sandy Peters
> Subject:   	Open Source/Linux & Academic Computing at
> Other Universities

> I'm just starting to compile info on what other R1 schools
> are doing with open source sw and/or linux: if you are
> interested in this topic, you might want to check out NC
> State's Open Source Policy and implementation at:
> http://www.ncsu.edu/it/open_source/ Click on NC State
> adopts open source policy
>
> NC State has not adopted the "there's one right answer"
> approach to technology development in academic computing,
> but has adopted open source as a strategic philosophy in
> academic computing and "will promote, integrate, and
> develop open source solutions" and "make open source
> options available when it makes sense to do so."
>
> Many faculy members at NC State are working in the open
> source realm: developing applications and researching
> development of non-proprietary code. They are partnering
> with Red Hat and IBM in this effort.
>
> NC State is also part of the Open Knowledge Initiative with
> MIT, Stanford, Dartmouth, U. Penn and U. Wisconsin.
>
> Other R1 schools (very preliminary research on my part)
> that are hot beds of open source activity include U
> Illinois (Urbana-Champaign), U Minnesota, and
> Indiana-Bloomington. Many schools now are piloting linux>
> computing labs.
>
> There is, of course, lots of open source effort in the
> schools that are leaders in the high performance computing
> and bioinformatics arenas, and snowballing (seems like an
> appropriate adjective for today) interest in linux for web
> servers.

http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~vsingh/

Blog software in use:

> GTDTW Version 1.0.6
>
> TiddlyWiki is published by Jeremy Ruston at Osmosoft under
> a BSD open source license
>
> GTD TiddlyWiki is a modification by Nathan Bowers at
> Snapgrid under the same license terms.

Well, what-du-yah-know, University of California at Berkeley
has a like resolution as well:

http://josephhall.org/os_resolution/os_resolution.html

--
HPT