Re: [News] Redmond Pretends Linux is Not a Threat

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 13:02:13 +0100

> __/ [ ed ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 12:27 \__

> >source > > is a credible threat to the software giant's empire, and
> >rules out > > porting MS Office to Linux

> >harder > > to make them work across platforms, I think that's what
> >LSB was > > intending to get options for. But there's just no
> >compensation for > > ./configure && make && make install
> >>
> >> I think that the mentioning of source code and the command line
> >would > deter most (new) Linux users. Why not just rely on a
> >repository (a > point-and-click on-tickbox-exercise) and portray
> >Linux in a highly > positive way? *smile* Linux makes it quicker and
> >simpler to find and > centralise software. Other platform require
> >research on the Web, as > well as some leg work which could lead to
> >installation of rogue > software.
> >
> > Oh yes that would be nice, but first MS has to provide the
> > application in source code for package maintainers to deb/rpm-enise.
> >
> >> Ubuntu, by the way, only stocks two proprietary (as in not Open
> >> Source) packages that I am aware of: that Panda anti-virus package
> >and > the Opera Web browser. Still, it's no Debian, but I suppose
> >it's > subjected to the same rules/ideaology, which is why the
> >Firefox icon > there is a globe rather than the trademark Fox
> >wrapping its body > around a glove. I believe that the name is bound
> >to change as well > rather soon. Expect Ubuntu to have Firefox with a
> >name shift and a > visual makeover.
> >
> > Ice weasel was the package that Debian wanted to include. FWIW they
> > dropped cdrtools because of the licence.
>

> I guess that Schilling's character didn't help either. And speaking of
> which, Linus Torvalds is not much better in that respect.

For ltorvalds it works well, if someone is a maintainer of a section of
code, and ltorvalds wants to introduce something the maintainer does not
want, then ltorvalds just finds someone who wants to do it.

The NetBSD guys commented on this and described how it's worked well
since ltorvalds has a clear picture of how he wants things. We have all
benefited from this drive greatly.

> > I recently changed to Ubuntu, but I wouldn't replace debian on the
> > servers. Never.
>
> Be careful. *smile*
>
> Seen this morning:
>
> http://linux.inet.hr/ubuntu_vs_debian_this_is_amazing.html

Yes, but I personally am also an advocate of OpenBSD, that's way behind
the 'cutting edge' of the ubuntu desktop. OpenBSD is the best choice for
networking though. It's so capable.