Re: Lack of WGA in Linux

__/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 04 October 2006 20:45 \__

> By Jove, I'm glad that we don't have a WGA or similar in Linux.
>
> It would appear that a well-known vendor of widely-used propriatory
> software has had something of an error in its computer systems (the ones
> which decide if the S/W is genuine), and which has resulted in some tears
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/04/microsoft_wga-validation_snafu/
>
> It was of course just a technical error, which the well-known manufacturer
> is doing its best to correct and to redeem the situation.
> One can only hope and pray that the said manufacturer's reputation will not
> be harmed through this, and I'm sure that we all wish him well in this
> regard:-)

A month or so ago Ray wrote some lines of code that implement WGA in Linux.
It's quite simple really,

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/ ...
thread/f0c400fdcf413631/ff936f38aba5a86b

OR

http://tinyurl.com/otvoj

----------lga.sh---------
#!/bin/sh

if [ `uname` = "Linux" ]; then
 zenity --title "Linux Genuine Advantage" --text "This copy of Linux is\
 Genuine. Thank you for choosing Genuine Linux!" --info
else
 zenity --title "Linux Genuine Advantage" --text "This machine is NOT\
 running Linux! Please visit http://distrowatch.com/ as soon as possible\
 to obtain a copy of Genuine Linux." --warning
fi