Re: [News] Encouraging Game Developers to Make Linux Ports

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Linux Gaming Made Easy
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Going Native.  With the possible exceptions of Battlefield 2 and
>| perhaps World of Warcraft, I simply can't see the advantage in
>| supporting games that choose not to support us. To me, the short
>| answer to this is to support those gaming companies that have worked
>| very hard to make sure that Linux admirers are not being left out in
>| the dark.
> `----
>
> http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7579
>
> Related:
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2023188,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532
>
>         New CrossOver Runs WoW, Half-Life 2 On Linux
>
> Linux / Mac Steam client Petition:
>
>         http://www.petitiononline.com/steam1/petition.html
>
> Gamers for Linux petition:
>
>         http://www.gamersforlinux.com/

We've had the debate here many times on Wine/Crossover/Cedega.  There're
a few main considerations:

1. Wine/Crossover/Cedega (WCC) allows linux users to execute many Windows
binaries in perfectly usable form without needing to purchase Windows.

2. WCC discourages developers from creating native linux binaries, as
once they see that their Windows binary runs well enough in Linux,
they'll not bother to maker a native port.

3. WCC (winelib) makes porting easier for developers, as winelib is a
native linux lib itself, so they can compile directly against it rather
than rewriting for eg., xlibs.

4. WCC coders are doing a good job, and should be encouraged.

After that, I'm not sure that there's much to add, except:

5. Windows Vista's OpenGL support is essentially crippled, as Microsoft
seek to make creation of cross-platform games as difficult as possible.

6. The next generation of games consoles are predominantly Linux-based,
although one will likely remain on legacy Windows.

Q:	Heard about the <ethnic> who couldn't spell?
A:	He spent the night in a warehouse.