Re: [News] 'DVD John' Fights DRM

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 03 October 2006 17:36 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> DVD Jon Fairplays Apple
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| DRM-buster DVD Jon has a new target in his sights, and it's a big piece
>>| of fruit. He has reverse-engineered Apple's Fairplay and is starting to
>>| license it to companies who want their media to play on Apple's
>>| devices. Instead of breaking the DRM (something he's already done), Jon
>>| has replicated it, and wants to license the technology to companies that
>>| want their content (music, movies, whatever) to play on Apple devices.
>>| This may not be good news for iTunes the store, but it could make the
>>| iPod even more popular.
>>|
>>| Jon Lech Johansen became famous for hacking encrypted DVDs so they would
>>| play in Linux when he was 15, making him the target of criminal charges
>>| for which he was eventually acquitted...
>> `----
>>
>> http://featured.gigaom.com/2006/10/02/dvd-jon-fairplays-apple/
>>
>> Some authorities have made it a crime to decrypt data that you actually
>> paid for.
>
> Well, he's sort of fighting it, but not really.  He's just looking to
> make some cash on the back of Apple's DRM, I would suggest?

That's true, but at the same time many people get the choice to make up for
their mistakes. Earlier today I sent my family and friends some E-mails
about DRM.

Have a look. You may wish to do the same (it's a simple case of re-use).

http://defectivebydesign.org/en/blog/ten_things_for_oct3

I have been on the newsletter for a while. Help spread the word! DRM can be
squash quicker than it's adopted and before it frustrates many users who are
locked in to a vendor, a platform, a shop, and/or a device. The sample
message elaborate on this -- backup, control of use, etc.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz     | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
roy      pts/6                         Mon Oct  2 16:01 - 16:01  (00:00)