Re: Movie Industry Loves Linux (NO PROOF OF THIS IN THAT ARTICLE)

  • Subject: Re: Movie Industry Loves Linux (NO PROOF OF THIS IN THAT ARTICLE)
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 3 Oct 2006 12:51:28 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
flatfish+++ wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 11:14:13 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > The Linux Motion Picture Pipeline
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | Within the industry the assembly line of hardware and software used
> > | for making movies is called a studio pipeline. Linux is preferred because
> > | it scales well and is compatible with tens of millions of lines of unix
> > | code the studios have developed internally over the years. All the
> > | large studios use Linux as their primary OS for desktops and server
> > | renderfarms.
> > `----
> >
> > http://linuxmovies.org/software.html
> >
> > This is not new, but I only found it now. It has been obvious to most for
> > quite a while, too.
>

> There is not one single verifiable fact to back up these claims.
>
> Where are the references?
>
> Proof?
>
> Footnotes?
>
> >All the
> > | large studios use Linux as their primary OS for desktops and server
> > | renderfarms.
>
> Where is the proof of this?
>
> All I see are links to a pile of mostly, semi-done, Linux slopware.

FWIW.... this definitely doesn't speak for all of the movie industry
but this past weekend I watched the final DVD's of "Lost Season 2" in
order to catch-up before the new season begins. The final DVD was a
2-DVD set and the other DVD had the typical extra bonus materials.

I watched some of the bonus material and there's one item named
"Anatomy of an Episode" or something like that. It basically covers
everything that goes into making an episode... from start to finish.

Yadda-yadda-yadda, they showed all the production work and how they
digitize the film, do the non-linear editing, add the sound-effects and
overlay some of the voices in the scenes and etc, etc. Being a
computer-guy I was checking out the software they use for this.

Long story short... everything I saw was being done on Mac's with
gigantic monitors.