Re: We are doomed!

Hadron Quark came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment
ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

> Jim <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> Hadron Quark came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment
>> ago in comp.os.linux.advocacy:

>> moment

>>> That game kicks ass if you are stuck in the early 90s. Oh yes, you are
>>> gaming on Linux :-;
>>>

>> Read up, the XBox Classic uses a stripped Windows NT  kernel. Tho I do
have
>> the BIOS modded to allow me to boot Linux from CD, the XBox has its
>> specific use here - as a gaming console. Leaves my x86 gear for real
>> work.
>
> The xbox has a specific use as a games console? Amazing.

Um... well... yes. Does that surprise you, that a gaming console is actually
used to play games on?

> But if you're playing games what work is your x86 gear doing?

Video. Mainly.

> Regardless, of all this,  Earthworm Jim is ancient news.

No, it's a quality cartoon from the nineties.

> And Linux is
> not the platform for modern games unfortunately.

Opinion.

One that is not shared by me.

My xbox has, as I mentioned, ROMs stored on its hard disk. Thousands of
them. I can play any of them on any OS on any platform which is capable and
suitably equipped. By equipped I mean, possessive of a ROM emulator. Which
the XBox has when running in native NT mode, it also has it in Linux mode,
my Linux workstations also have emulators (including MAME under WINE)
installed which are capable of playing these ROMs, and when I had XP boxen,
I had MAME among other emulators installed on those as well, which could
use the ROMs.

So, in my humble opinion, Linux is as ready for games as Microsoft Windows
ever was, if not more so (read up on Vista's issues with OpenGL layering
under DirectX to find out why OpenGL games are going to totally SUCK under
Vista - in my opinion as a part-time gamer).

--
-*- Linux: Because restarts are for upgrades.
-*- Some people are like Slinkies; they serve no specific purpose,
   but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-*- Linux Desktops & Clustering Solutions -*-          http://dotware.co.uk
-*- Registered Linux user #426308 -*-                 http://counter.li.org
-*- Microsoft XP is like a box of chocolates. You never know when the steel
   bolts are going to spring out and plunge straight through both cheeks...
-*- We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast.
-*- Contemplating Knife -*-           Which end do the bullets go in again?
-*- I can't wait to get to heaven and meet seventy virgins - I've yet to
   meet *one* on *Earth*!
-*- For sale: one (1) Fender Phantom air guitar. Â500 ONO
-*- For sale: one (1) Italian WWII bolt-action rifle. .303cal, never fired,
   only dropped once. Offers.
-*- Hit every key to continue.
-*- "Thanks. What sort of candle is this?" "Um... Dee-nah-meetay. Must be
   Italian."
-*- That's it. No more coffee for *that* man!