Re: Another Microsoft "success story"

  • Subject: Re: Another Microsoft "success story"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 02:22:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Ramon F Herrera ] on Monday 02 October 2006 22:48 \__

http://www.ajc.com/search/content/business/stories/2006/10/01/sbizscada1001a.html

> In January 2003, the power industry got a wake-up call.
>
> An event in Ohio "illustrated how accessible and vulnerable SCADA
> systems are at nuclear power plants," the SANS Institute's Paller told
> a House subcommittee last fall.
>
> He testified that a computer worm circulating on the Internet had
> infected Microsoft database software used by a contractor at the
> Davis-Besse nuclear plant near Toledo, Ohio.
>
> Bypassed firewall
>
> Even though the plant's operator, FirstEnergy Corp., had protected the
> plant with a software firewall, the worm used the contractor's network
> to bypass it.
>
> "Because of Davis-Besse's widespread use of vulnerable Microsoft
> software, the worm jumped to the plant network and crashed the Safety
> Parameter Display System, keeping it offline for eight hours," Paller
> testified.
>
> -RFH

Good find/ I was going to find some proof myself, but you beat me to it. What
sort of GNU/Linux system would actually crash and leave the data corrupted
or inaccessible? Only a hard-drive failure might cause this, but it's not a
"system crash" per se. Besides, one can always salvage some data using a
Live CD.