[News] Tibco, Open Source Ajax Toolkit, Can Defeat Adobe's Binary Blobs

Tibco to open source, upgrade AJAX toolkit

,----[ Quote ]
| Tibco Software on Monday is announcing its intention to offer its
| General Interface rich Internet application toolkit via an open
| source format.
|
| [...]
|
| General Interface, unlike rival Adobe's Flex and Flash technology, does
| not require a plug-in. Using a plug-in can present challenges with
| scalability and integration, Hakman said. "We're offering the ability
| to rapidly deploy Web applications that look like desktop applications
| without the extra technology layer of a plug-in to the server," Hakman
| said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20061002/tc_infoworld/82422

Acrobat Reader has already been made fairly obsolete in Linux (thanks to
xpdf, ghostview and other tools). Maybe the same will hold true when it
comes to Flash, Flex, and Microsoft's proposed Sparkle (attempt to replace
Adobe's cross-platform proprietary format, like XPS for PDF). I don't know
how gnash is coming along...