Re: Microsoft Has Just Killed my Services and Firefox Extensions

  • Subject: Re: Microsoft Has Just Killed my Services and Firefox Extensions
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 2 Oct 2006 15:18:16 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Bastards.
>
> http://www.webpronews.com/insiderreports/searchinsider/wpn-49-20061002A9SearchEmbracesLiveFeatures.html
> http://www.resourceshelf.com/2006/10/01/search-briefs-a9-discontinues-many-features-yahoo-to-open-yahoo-mail-api/
>
> Microsoft is paying to shut down its competitors. How the heck is this
> ethical or even legal? This has eliminated services I depend on
> (permanently).

The answer is that it's not legal.  According to the final judgement of
the 9 judge ruling of the 3rd Circuit Appeals court, Microsoft is not
allowed to protect it's current existing monopoly, nor is it allowed to
use it's current monopoly power to extend it's monopoly into any other
markets.

Simply put, if Microsoft used it's monopoly power to shut down a
competitor, then it's defying the law as defined by the court ruling in
this case.  Microsoft opted not to appeal the ruling, accepting both
the judgement and a settlement which eliminated the risk of more
punitive measures such as divesatiture.

But then again, Microsoft has shown, quite clearly, that it has
contempt for the law, that it is above the law, and that there is no
law, when it comes to Microsoft's business practices.  Microsoft's top
executives, including Gates, Ballmer, and Alchin have openly admitted
to fraud, extortion, blackmail, sabotage, embezzlement, obstruction of
justice, perjury, and contempt of court, in open court, only to be
granted immunity from all prior acts in settlements which involve token
settlements involving "payments" in the form of licenses designed to
perpetrate the very activity being prosecuted and settled.

It's a bit like letting Ted Bundy make restitution to his surviving
victims by offering them stud service.