Re: [News] Microsoft Xbox 360 at 1.6% in Japan? Yikes.

> Survey Shows Wii at 88%, PS3 at 11%
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Including all hardware, which system will generate the most sales?
> |
> | 60.7% Nintendo DS,
> | 32.8% Nintendo Wii
> | 3.3% PS2
> | 1.6% PS3
> | 1.6% Xbox 360
> `----

These two figures (Wii = 88% or Wii = 32.8%? PS3 = 11% or PS3 = 1.6%?) seems
to contradict each other, so it's important you precisely state the actual
question that were asked in the survey.

<quote>
The first question -- Which new console will sell better this holiday
season?

Wii: 88%
PS3: 11%

The second question -- Including all hardware, which system will generate
the most sales?

60.7% Nintendo DS,
32.8% Nintendo Wii
3.3% PS2
1.6% PS3
1.6% Xbox 360
</quote>

    So note that it's possible (though implausible) from the first question
that 88% of the people surveyed believe that 50% of all sales will be to the
Wii, 49% of all sales will be the 360, and 1% of all sales will be the PS3.
This is why it's very easy to abuse statistical figures, as people tend to
read a lot more than what is actually said.

> FWIW, it's a Nintendo Web site. Either way, Linux-friendly/based consoles
> win
> hands down. The XBox has serious problems.

    The survey was conducted by "EnterBrain" which is supposedly an
independent media group (though I believe they've released software for the
PC and the PSX (the original Playstation)), so I'm not sure that Nintendo's
favorable figures are really anything to be suspicious about. There's the
perception that the Japanese are biased against the XBox series of
console -- a complex issue that I won't get into for this post, except to
point out another coverage of the survey:

<quote>
A survey of retailers conducted by the Japanese media outfit Enterbrain
shows that 88 percent think that the Wii will sell better over the Christmas
break, only 11 percent believe the PS3 will be tops. Since this is a
Japanese survey they didn't even bother asking if they thought the Xbox 360
would go anywhere.
</quote>

    IOW, it's not much of a surprised that the 360 is (going to do/)doing
poorly in Japan. The big surprise (for some I guess, it isn't a surprise to
me) is that the PS3 would do so poorly.

    *I* am surprised, however, by the expectation that the DS will do well
this Christmas. I thought it was considered "old" by now, and so wouldn't
appear at the top of most kid's wishlists. That said, I have heard rumours
of a massive DS shortage in Japan. Given this large unsatisfied demand, I
suspect retailers are constantly turning away customers with "Sorry, the DS
is all sold out here" for the past few months, which would explain why they
foresee the DS doing extremely well over the holidays.

    - Oliver