Re: Sub $100 Mini Linux PC

  • Subject: Re: Sub $100 Mini Linux PC
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 1 Oct 2006 03:05:38 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Au79 wrote:
> Hard OCP - Plano,TX,USA
>
> There is a company in Taiwan making mini Linux PCs that cost under $100
> total. Imagine all the things you could use a PC like this for. ...

This is something I had proposed almost 20 years ago.  Create smaller
"components" which can be plugged together as needed.  Ironically, this
isn't the first such product, Linksys and Netgear have both offered
Linux (embedded Linux) machines in the form of routers, switches, WiFi
hubs, and Storage controllers.  I recently picked up a WiFi hub that
also featured a USB-2 "A" connector.  This made it possible to have a
single "all purpose" Linux server that not only provided WiFi, Routing,
and Hub/Switch services, but also permitted me to directly connect a
300 Gigabyte USB-2 drive for backup of multiple machines and rapid file
transfer to/from machines and between users.  Previously, I had been
lugging a second laptop for these functions, and now didn't need to do
that.

This new "$100 Linux box" has similar features.  One can install a
/boot or /root partition in the CF slot, then boot into a USB-2 hard
drive.  Furthermore, since X11 and VNC can make the device "location
transparent", machine can drive a local USB or PS/2 keyboard and mouse,
and a SXGA monitor, or the X11 or VNC display can be used to provide
Linux desktop functionality to a laptop connected to the same Ethernet
hub or bus.

The nice thing is that it this machine now makes it possible to use
surplus monitors and displays, including those being "thrown out" or
recycled, to provide computers that can be used by low-income families,
families in third-world countries, and as "appliances" for road
warriors who need the flexibility of a full-function Linux environment
in a smaller low-power configuration.

If the CF were programmed to support a USB-2 HUB, it would be possible
to use a USB-CD ROM to install Linux to a USB hard drive.
Alternatively, vendors could offer a package which would include the
USB-Drive and USB hub. Both of which could be powered by a rechargable
battery pack, or using inexpensive 12-volt power supplies, or even a
"dual ported battery".

It would be nice to see low-profile video connector such as S-Bus,
which would then make it possible to use a full sized LCD video display
with a small keyboard in cramped quarters environments such as coach
seats on todays airplanes.

This isn't as aggressive as the "One Laptop per child", but it could
make low cost, full function linux systems available to nearly 1
billion people who have access to AC power, VGA, XGA, and SVGA
monitors, but don't need something that will run full function with low
cost.

Kudos.