Re: [News] Power Shift in IT Industry

Mark Kent wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Apple Profit Up 27 Pct., Beating Views
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Apple Easily Beats Wall Street Expectations As Fourth-Quarter
>>| Profit Rises 27 Percent
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061018/earns_apple.html?.v=20
>>
>> HP Passes Dell in World PC Shipments
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Hewlett-Packard Supplants Dell As the World Leader in
>>| Personal Computer Shipments
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061018/pc_shipments.html?.v=3
>>
>> Earlier this week...
>>
>> Intel's report indicated a decline as well while IBM, being
>> a 'Linux ally', rose dramatically. It appears as though
>> the Intel-Dell-Microsoft trio is crumbling. It has been
>> an exclusive club of minimal choice, kickbacks, and closed
>> standards.
>>

> It does seem to be falling apart.  In Intel's defence, though, they were
> one of the founding members of the OSDL, and have also been pushing the
> ATCA standard, too.

I am sorry to see Intel's troubles. But it is they own fault for dragging
their feet over the 64bit stuff. Probably will be just as slow if 128 comes
off.

Personally though I think there ia lot yet to be gained from the
multi-processors on the 64bit busses first though, probably much more so
than the wider bus would give. I also like the idea of more of the
peripheral chips having intelligence of their own.

It might be nice though nip into a parralel world to see how things would
have turned out with Zilog. Their Z8000 could have been the first step to
great things a lot more quickly than we got through the Intel path.