Re: Ignorance in Government: FBI Thinks Linux is a Programming Language

  • Subject: Re: Ignorance in Government: FBI Thinks Linux is a Programming Language
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 18 Oct 2006 18:22:04 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> (FBI on Linux)
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "San Diego is skilled at the use of computers to
> | include setting up e-mail services and using the
> | programming language LINUX."
> `----
>
> http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/fugitives/dt/sandiego_da.htm

So we have a guy who blows up buildings with deadly explosives,
the clerk or investigator filing the wanted poster doesn't understand
the finer points of computer programming.

My guess is he knows how to make C4, Plastique, and NitroGlycerine, and
probably knows about 20 different timers, and he knows how to follow
the evidence trail from two blown up buildings all the way back to a
really smart guy who appears to be pretty good at evading law
enforcement.

I think I can forgive this one agent for his little mistake.

> So the FBI thinks a programming language runs its site. It
> may not be intersted in Linux desktops because C++ is fine...

Actually, the FBI has had some serious problems with their computer
systems, and have had some real troubles getting the combination of
security and collaboration with the other agencies, as they would have
liked.

On the other hand, it's not their primary job.  If my doctor doesn't
know the difference between Linux and Windows, but he's going to be
donig surgery, I just want to make sure he knows how to make that
surgery go so that I'm better off when the procedure is over.

If the FBI agent who typed this wanted poster provides enough
information to have this serial bomber and terrorist put into a
situation where he can't "get blasted" again, I think that's far more
important.

And the irony is that there might be someone in this group who might
know this guy.  And their little mistake got him noticed by his
community.

I think they did a VERY clever thing.