[News] Ubuntu Does Brilliantly (and SUSE Even Better)

Proof that as big as Ubuntu has become, OpenSUSE quietly
spreads as well. OpenSUSE has not been on top for a long
time because Ubuntu dominated.

http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=1

Rank    Distribution    H.P.D*
1       openSUSE        2690
2       Ubuntu          2657
3       Fedora          1772

Truthfully, it's easy to game the stats. Some distros even
use/d links to achieve this. Nonetheless, this shows that Ubuntu
is just one among several formidable players that grow rapidly.

Also see:

Novell's SUSE Linux team on open source software.

,----[ Quote ]
| What's your market share in the open source arena?
|
| This is early days in terms of defining market share for
| the Indian market. It is still evolving. We believe we have
| set the bar very high with the launch of version 10. In just
| the last 20 days, 360,000 people have downloaded our new
| version i.e. one person downloading this software every
| six seconds.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/ew/2006/09/25/stories/2006092500260400.htm

A SUSE download every 6 seconds! Too bad Novell cannot afford to expend
0.9 billion dollars making a fuss over this (unlike Vista, for example).